9 JKL # 10

A Bear of a Program

There are some interesting stories around bears. In college, a friend of a friend ran into one in the Wyoming wilderness and called out, “Whoa, bear!” and we took up the quote and used it for anything that was surprisingly shocking in our lives. Being college students these instances weren’t as dramatic as one thinks though when thinking of a bear.

When in Alaska I met many people who wanted to see a bear and I had to remind them of what that actually meant and they retracted. No one actually wants to see a bear like our Wyoming friend above.

Neither do TV shows.

I came across an interesting ratings system this week on TV By the Numbers called the “Cancel Bear” at the bottom Cancel Bear lists itself as someone who “tracks and devours low-rated TV shows.”

And guess who made the list?

9JKL

On the whole of the CBS lineup, it is the only show that has two bears.

The bears look cute, but like those in the wild, they are dangerous. Unfortunately, the reasoning is legit behind the potential cancellation. Viewership dropped 43% with Superior Donuts as a lead-in last week as well as a time change.

Could Cancel Bear be wrong? Maybe. Tomorrow is a new day and the second time 9JKL will air at 9:30 pm. Maybe it will pick up viewers again that had a week to adjust or perhaps it will stay the same or continue to fall and get eaten by Cancel Bear.